Guidelines for Teachers
We are delighted that you will be visiting the Ladysmith Waterfront Gallery. The Arts Council of Ladysmith has 400 members and growing. You will find renowned professional artists, skilled amateurs and emerging artists exhibiting their art in the gallery. Please review the following guidelines before your visit:
Please notify the Waterfront Gallery by first filling out the form under the SCHOOL TOUR heading or by email if there are changes, questions later on. Teachers are encouraged to tour the shows to become familiar with the content of the show and the facilities.
- It is essential to prepare your class for their visit by letting them know the rules of the gallery -
- please do not touch the art
- walk slowly and talk softly while in the gallery
- students stay with accompanying adults
- follow direction of your volunteer group leader and teacher
- No photography or cell phones in the Gallery.
- washrooms are located outside at the end of the walkway.
- Please bring name tags with each student’s name clearly identified.
- The Waterfront Gallery is located on the second floor of the old Machine Shop, therefore if you has students of different abilities please let us know.
- Students will be painting on canvas and should wear appropriate clothing. We cannot be responsible for paint on clothing.
- The tour will consist of the Gallery, a working art studio and the classroom.
- Students are encourage to bring paper and pencil to sketch quietly in the gallery after viewing all the art.
- During the Winter months the Gallery is not open on Mondays which makes a perfect time for a tour.
- The Ladysmith Maritime Society also has a school program and can be combined with the Gallery program. Contact www.lmsmarina.ca or call 250-245-0109 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about their program.
- We require a minimum of 1 adult per 10 students.
- Please notify all accompanying adults that we can not accommodate toddlers on the tours.
- Please arrive on time. The Waterfront Gallery is volunteer based so we don't want Volunteer time being wasted.. Check in at the Gallery first.
- The School Program tours are 1 hour in length and the workshops are 1 hours in length.
We regret that bagged lunches can not be eaten inside the Gallery but there is a picnic area by the Train or if we are experiencing inclement weather lunches can be eaten in the classroom.
- Cost is $5.00/student which includes a canvas to take home and the use of paint and brushes in the classroom.
- We require two weeks advance notice for cancellations, otherwise the full amount will be charged.
Thank you for your participation in the Ladysmith Waterfront Gallery school programs.
Ladysmith Waterfront Gallery 610 Oyster Bay Drive, Ladysmith,